Virginia Sports Betting
If you’re a bettor in Virginia, you may have been wondering if you could start betting in the state. As of October 2020, Virginia has approved sports betting within the state, and sportsbooks should be fully operational in January 2021! This is great news for all Virginians, as it means they don’t have to go through a bunch of loopholes just to bet on their favorite teams.
Although Virginia doesn’t have a thriving professional sports scene, they have many exciting college teams that really invigorate the local community. Those teams provide great entertainment, and now that the Virginia Lottery Board has legalized betting, bettors can freely enjoy some legal sports betting to juice up their sports experience.
This article will prepare all those who want to be ready for when sports betting in Virginia becomes legal. Find out all you need to know, such as which sportsbooks to choose, how to bet, what you can bet on, and any other necessary details you may need to know.
Online Sports Betting in Virginia
How Online Sports Betting Works in Virginia
Will Virginia Sports Betting Ever Launch?
Good news for all living in Virginia: yes!
Although there is no specific timeline set in stone yet, many experts believe you can expect to start sports betting as soon as January 2021. This gives casino operators and online sportsbooks plenty of time to plan and prepare to set up shop. We can say a big thank you to Ralph Northam for approving the proposal and giving residents of the state of Virginia an entertainment outlet during the “Coronavirus Times”.
Although this does apply to online sports betting, you can expect to see casinos open up brick and mortar sportsbooks like they do in countries like the UK. That way if you feel uncomfortable placing bets online, you can always go and place them physically.
How To Bet On Sports
In preparation for the legalization of sports betting, it’s important for new bettors to understand the process to streamline their experience and make it as easy as possible to start betting right away. Below is a step-by-step guide on how you can place a bet if you live in Virginia:
- Check out reviews of sportsbooks, or check out our recommendations
- Create an account at your selected sportsbook
- Make sure you’ve fully completed the verification process to unlock your account
- Apply your welcome bonus
- Browse the selection of sports available to you and select what you want to bet on
- Check the odds to make sure it’s valuable for you to bet on it or not
- Enter the amount you want to stake in your betslip
- Place the bet and fingers crossed!
Which Virginia Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
It is currently not legal to place sports bets in Virginia, however when it eventually does happen, you can expect all the local casinos to jump at the opportunity to open a sportsbook instantly. You can be sure the following casinos will have sportsbooks:
- Rosie’s Gaming: Virginia gamblers will know everything about Rosie’s Gaming casinos and they’re a nice and relaxing place to enjoy some casino games and horse racing games. You can be sure that they’ll include a sportsbook as soon as they can.
- Hollywood Casino: Similarly with Rosie’s Gaming, you can expect the Hollywood Casino to open up a sportsbook ASAP.
- Hard Rock Casino (PROPOSED): The proposed Hard Rock Casino was proposed and approved in November 2020. They’ll receive their operating license in early 2021 and are expected to open in 2023. This will be huge for all Virginia residents and it’s going to be a massive project!
What Can You Bet On Right Now in Virginia?
- American Football
- Australian Rules
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Motor Sports
- Rugby Union
- Virtual Sports
What Bets Are Available at Virginia Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline: Moneyline markets are the most basic bets you can make on a sportsbook. You’re basically predicting who will win a match. Depending on the game and how good the teams are, these bets can be either really valuable or very risky.
- Over/Under: If you’re unsure of the outcome of a match, betting on over/under markets can sometimes be a great choice. Over/Under bets are where you predict how many runs, points, touchdowns, etc. are scored in a single match.
- Point Spread: Point spread markets are typically for when the moneyline odds are too invaluable. For example, if the Washington Wizards are going against the Boston Celtics, and the odds are heavily in the Celtic’s favor, you may opt to bet on the point spread instead. This may look something like -10.5. This means that you’re predicting the Celtics will win by 11 or more.
- Futures: Futures props are for the more patient bettors. These odds are for predicting which team will win a championship, tournament, or event.
- Individual Props: Individual props are the most diverse market available on all sportsbook apps, as there’s such a variety of things an individual can do in different sports. You can bet on touchdown scorers, if a player will get a triple-double, score a goal, etc. The options are endless! Plus, these odds usually pay way more.
- And many more!
Taking Advantage of Bonuses and Rewards
- Welcome Bonus: An online sportsbook should always provide its customers with a welcome bonus. If you check out our recommended casinos above, you can find 5 different sportsbooks and their respective welcome bonuses available for all bettors.
- Reload Bonus: A reload bonus is usually applicable on your second and third deposits. These are less valuable than the initial welcome bonus and can look something like a 50% match bonus up to $100. Although they are still definitely useful, they are certainly less attractive and can sometimes be forgotten.
- Free Bets: Free bets will always be the most prized bonus for sports betting fans. This free bet usually comes in the form of a free sports bet, where you can bet on whatever you want.
- Loyalty Schemes/VIP Programs: It’s quite rare these days to find an online sportsbook with a VIP program. If you do find one, though, it’s usually a sign that they are quite reputable and have the financials to operate a program like that. You can expect to receive free spins at their casino, free bets on their sportsbook, etc.
Virginia Sports Betting FAQ
Is Sports Betting Legal in Virginia?
Technically not yet, but a bill has been proposed to legalize it, and as of September 15, 2020, it was approved. Bettors can expect to start betting in early 2021. This law is great for the state as a whole and is a great way to generate revenue at a state level to re-allocate to other areas.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet in Virginia?
As is the case federally, you need to be 21+ to legally bet in Virginia.
Is It Legal To Bet On Virginia Sports Teams?
If there were professional sports teams in Virginia to bet on… it wouldn’t be legal as of now. But, again, you can expect to start in early 2021.
Do I Have To Live in Virginia To Bet Online?
Once the law gets passed, and licenses are handed out, yes, you will need a Virginia IP to bet online.
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available in Virginia?
Mobile sports betting comes hand in hand with online betting, so yes, it will be available!
Final Word on Virginia Sports Betting
It can be more frustrating to wait on the rollout of sportsbooks now that you know it’s legalized in Virginia. Although there are work-arounds you can do right now to start betting, we would recommend to wait for it to become legal. Legalizing something as historically controversial as gambling requires a lot of regulations, laws, and discourse, so it’s important that the state of Virginia takes its time and gets it right.
Once you can enjoy legal sports betting, sign up to one (or all) the above sportsbooks and get stuck right in! Hopefully this article serves as a useful guide to help all new bettors get their feet wet and start gambling safely and happily.