Rhode Island Sports Betting
Rhode Island sports betting has been fully legal since 2018. However, online sports betting wasn’t legalized until 2019 when Gov. Gina Raimondo signed the bill after it passed the Senate, while legal mobile sports betting followed in 2020.
Rhode Island bettors don’t have any local pro sports teams to bet on, but you can bet on all pro sports across America and the whole world. You can also bet on Daily Fantasy Sports, but you cannot bet on Rhode Island college teams.
In this article, we’re going to take a complete look at Rhode Island betting. We’ll be taking a look at the best sportsbooks, the types of bets you can place, as well as what’s legal and what isn’t.
Online Sports Betting In Rhode Island
Top 5 Sportsbooks
How Sports Betting Works In Rhode Island
Rhode Island Sports Betting Launch
A sports betting bill was put on the table in January 2018, and by June that year, Gov. Gina Raimondo had signed sports betting into law.
In 2019, sports betting was legalized. Later that year, Gov. Gina Raimondo realized that Rhode Island was missing a massive opportunity by not legalizing mobile sports betting. As such, a bill was signed into law at the end of 2019 that permitted mobile sports betting in Rhode Island.
From then onwards, numerous sports betting apps have been launched in the state.
How To Bet On Sports?
If you’ve never bet on sports before, the good news is that placing a bet is a really simple process:
- First, choose a sportsbook you like the look of
- Create an account
- Make your first deposit and grab the welcome bonus
- Take a look at the various sports and find one you like
- Take a closer look at the games and markets
- Choose a game and then decide what type of bet you want to have
- Consider the odds – is there value here?
- Enter a stake
- Confirm your bet
Which Rhode Island Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
There are at present just two Rhode Island casinos that have sportsbooks:
- Twin River Lincoln Casino
- Twin River Tiverton Casino
The Twin River Lincoln Casino is the most accommodating to sports bettors as it has over 100 televisions and multiple odds boards. However, the Twin River Tiverton Casino can also offer an excellent casino experience, as it has 32 gaming tables.
Rhode Island Online Sports Betting Partnerships
For a casino to legally accept sports bets, it must enter into a sports betting online partnership with a fully licensed sportsbook.
There are currently two Rhode Island betting partnerships, and William Hill powers both:
- Twin River Casino – William Hill
- Twin River Tiverton Casino – William Hill
What Can You Bet On Right Now In Rhode Island?
You can bet on all pro sports, as well as college sports. Live betting is also available, although you can’t bet on Rhode Island collegiate sports.
Here is a rundown of the sports you can bet on in Rhode Island:
- American football
- Aussie Rules
- Beach volleyball
- Formula 1
- Horse racing
- Ice hockey
- Rugby league
- Rugby union
- Table tennis
You can also bet on huge national and international tournaments, such as the World Cup and the Super Bowl, as well as politics and reality TV. The only thing you’re really limited by is the sports variety on offer at a particular sportsbook, which is why it’s important you do your research before signing up.
However, daily fantasy sports is a bit more of a grey area. While betting on daily fantasy sports in Rhode Island is technically legal, there is currently no law that regulates it in the state. Moreover, sportsbooks that offer DFS, such as FanDuel and DraftKings, do not currently operate in Rhode Island.
What Bets Are Available At Rhode Island Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline – The moneyline bet is the most popular bet among American sports bettors because it’s so simple: You wager on who you think will win a particular match or event.
- Point spread – The point spread is similar to the moneyline bet. But it’s not enough that a team or individual wins the game – they must also ‘beat the spread.’ For example, let’s say a sportsbook decides the Lakers are the favorites v the Bulls. They peg them at (-5.5). If you take this bet, the Lakers must win by at least 6 points in order for you to win the bet. The point spread is a bit harder to get right than the moneyline bet but the payouts are bigger.
- Over/under – In most sports, a sportsbook will set a combined total number of points or goals they think will be scored between the two participants. For example, let’s say the Chiefs are playing the Bills and the sportsbook sets the predicted total number of points at 45.5. It’s then up to you to decide whether you think the true number will be over or under
Take Advantage of Bonuses and Rewards
When you weigh up which sportsbook to sign up to, make sure you check out the bonuses and rewards they offer. These should generally include a good welcome bonus, such as the 50% match deposit bonus up to $250 offered by Bovada, reload bonuses, free bets, rebates, and even casino bonuses.
Make sure to look out for VIP programs, too, and don’t forget to read the terms and conditions closely before you take advantage of any bonus.
Rhode Island Sports Betting Laws
Rhode Island sports betting laws are super simple and straightforward: You must be at least 18 years old in order to place a bet, and you must be within state lines at the time.
You cannot place a bet if you’re on a self-exclusion list, and you also can’t bet on RI collegiate sports.
Rhode Island Sports Betting FAQ
Is Sports Wagering Legal In Rhode Island?
When Can Rhode Island Residents Start Placing Bets?
Rhode Island residents can start placing bets as soon as they’ve created a sports betting account.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet In Rhode Island?
You must be aged 18 or over in order to legally bet in RI.
Is It Legal To Bet on Rhode Island Sports Teams?
Unfortunately, Rhode Island doesn’t have any pro sports teams. If they did, you would be able to bet on them. However, you can’t bet on Rhode Island college teams or leagues, as well as nearby favorites, such as the New England Patriots.
Do I Have To Live In Rhode Island Bet Online?
No, you don’t have to be an RI resident to bet online, but you must be within state lines whenever you place a bet.
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available In Rhode Island?
Final Word On Rhode Island Sports Betting Online
Rhode Island online betting has been legal for over a year now, and Rhode Island residents can start placing bets right now.
The next step is to choose a sportsbook that’s right for you, before making your first deposit and grabbing the welcome bonus. Then, you’re ready to start betting.
Got any questions? Leave us a comment below!