Oregon is now the western-most state that allows legal sports betting. Online Oregon sports betting was officially launched legally in October 2019, when it became the 12th state in the U.S. to legalize online betting. The first sportsbook started taking wagers in September 2019.
However, there are still things you can’t do, such as using a mobile app to bet on college games.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at everything you need to know about Oregon sports betting, including the best sportsbooks and the types of bets you can place. We’ll also be ended with an FAQ that answers your most popular questions.
Oregon has suffered more than most states when it comes to sports betting over the years and still has only limited offerings even today.
Back in 1992, it was actually one of just four states that were partially exempted when the federal ban on sports betting took place. A year later, in 1993, tribal opened their first casino in Oregon.
However, things started to change in 2004, when greyhound races were banned. All betting action was cancelled in 2007 after the NCAA continued to voice their disapproval. At the same time, though, poker clubs opened after the state started to license them.
Over ten years later, in 2018, the Supreme Court struck down the federal ban on sports betting.
Oregon sports betting was later legalized in August 2019, although the first legal sports betting app wasn’t ready until October later that year. This was the Scoreboard app, which for a long time, was the only app Oregonians could legally use to place wagers via their mobile device.
The Oregon Lottery created the app in partnership with European firm SBTech. Tribes in Oregon are also able to legally accept your wagers, although they remain the only ones in the state that are allowed to offer casino gaming.
Now that sports betting is legal in the state of Oregon, we’re pleased to report that it won’t take you long to get into the swing of placing sports bets.
In fact, betting on sports can be done in just a few simple steps:
At the time of writing, only Tribes are permitted to offer casino games in the state of Oregon. This means they can also offer sports betting.
Here is a list of all the casinos in Oregon that also have sportsbooks:
At the time of writing, the only sports betting partnership to the tribe casinos listed above is Road Digital.
Road Digital is expected to launch a BetMGM retail sportsbook soon at its Spirit Mountain Casino, located in Grand Ronde.
Provided regulations are passed, Roar Digital might be able to launch a mobile sports betting app, too.
Adam Greenblatt, Roar Digital’s chief executive, said:
“We have found a great partner in the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde and Spirit Mountain Casino and look forward to working with the Tribe to bring a leading retail and online sports betting experience to Oregon.”
You can bet on most pro sports in Oregon. Provided a specific pro sport is offered on a sports betting app, you can bet on it.
However, you cannot bet on college teams in this state, and this goes for both college basketball and college football. It’s thought that this is because the lottery, which provides money to higher education, has a huge influence on Oregon sports betting.
This also means that you cannot bet on March Madness in Oregon.
Other than that, the amount of pro sports you can be on is only limited by the selection offered by a particular sportsbook. Here are some of the sports you can bet on in Oregon:
You can also bet on major sporting events and tournaments, such as the World Cup (soccer), the Super Bowl (NFL), and the World Series (MLB).
Other things you can bet on aside from sports include entertainment and politics.
There are a number of different types of bets you can place at Oregon sportsbooks. Here are the most popular ones explained:
– The moneyline is the most popular bet of all, perhaps because it’s also the simplest. Essentially, you wager on a specific outcome of a match. For instance, maybe you bet on Green Bay to beat the Bills or the Lakers to beat the Clippers.
– Over/under bets are available for most sports, although they vary according to each specific sport.
However, they all work in the same way: Before an event starts, the sportsbook will decide on a total number of points. It’s then up to you to decide whether you think the total number of points will be over or under. For example, in an NFL match, a sportsbook might set the total number of points at 35.5. Or, in an NBA match, they might set the total number of points at 188.5. In a tennis match, they might set the total number of games at 28.5.
– The point spread is popular with American sports bettors. Before a game starts, a sportsbook will pick a favorite and an underdog. Then, they’ll pick a total number of points that they think the favorite will win by. It’s then up to you to decide whether you do not think the real total will be higher or lower. For example, let’s say a sportsbook decides that the Dolphins will beat the Bears by -10. If you take this bet, they need to win by at least 10 points. The point spread is harder to get right than the moneyline bet, but it offers bigger payouts.
– Futures bets are bets that are placed on future events. For instance, Oregonians can bet on who they think will win the Super Bowl when the NFL season has just started.
As soon as you’ve created an account with a sports betting site in Oregon, you will want to take advantage of the bonuses and rewards.
The exact bonuses and rewards that are on offer vary from sportsbook to sportsbook. Here are some of the most popular ones you should look out for:
– Otherwise known as a sign-up bonus, the welcome bonus is exclusive to new players. Usually, this is a match deposit bonus that matches a percentage of your first deposit. For example, Bovada is currently offering a 50% match deposit bonus up to $250.
– The reload bonus is similar to the sign-up bonus, except it matches your subsequent deposits (usually your second and third). The percentage of your deposit that it matches is usually less than the welcome bonus, and not all sportsbooks offer this bonus.
– Most sports betting sites hand out free bets every now and then to their customers. Typically, a free bet is small and no more than $1. It also can only be used on specific sports.
– Occasionally, a sportsbook will offer rebates on specific sports or sporting events. For example, it might be the case that a betting site offers to refund you 10% on all NFL losses during a particular weekend. This is a great bonus that ensures you don’t feel too bad after a loss.
– The best sportsbooks, such as Bovada, offer VIP programs. Also known as loyalty programs, these reward you for repeat deposits and plays. Essentially, the more often you bet, the more perks you’ll be entitled to, including bigger free bets.
– If a sports betting site has a casino, look out for free spins. These are reserved for specific slots and usually come with wagering requirements.
Oregon is like all other U.S. states in that it has a few sports betting laws you need to be mindful of.
Like all other states, you must be aged 21 or over in order to place a bet in Oregon.
At the moment, you can only place a mobile wager via the Scoreboard app.
At the time of writing, it’s illegal to bet on college games in Oregon.
Yes, sports betting has been legal in Oregon since 2019, although at the time of writing, you can only use the Scoreboard app to legally bet via your mobile device.
Oregon residents can start placing bets as soon as they’ve signed up to a sportsbook and made their first deposit.
The legal age to bet in Oregon is 21.
You can bet on pro-Oregon sports teams, such as the Portland Trail blazers, but you can’t bet on Oregon college sports.
This means that if – for example – you’re a fan of the Oregon State University Beavers or the Oregon Ducks, you won’t be able to wager on them. It also means that any college sports teams participating in March Madness are off-limits.
You can bet anywhere in the U.S. where legal sports betting is permitted. However, you must abide by each state’s betting laws.
If you’re using the Scoreboard app, which is strictly for use in Oregon only, you must be within the state lines before you place a bet.
It is, but currently, the only app you can use for mobile sports betting in Oregon is the Oregon lottery Scoreboard app.
Now that Oregon sports betting is up and running, the next step is to choose a sportsbook that’s right for you. Then, create an account, grab the welcome bonus – and start betting!
Make sure to have fun, and don’t forget to ask us anything in the comments below.
Interactive map with projections and information about the legalization for every state.Legalization Tracker
Discover which sportsbooks are the most trustworthy, offer the best bonuses, and find the active promo codes.
Our team consists of industry experts, professional gamblers, and passionate sports journalist. We have a rigorous review process and editorial standards and we do our best to keep treating our readers fairly and providing unbiased free and professional information.
120 k Monthly Visitors
200 + Helpful Articles