Missouri Sports Betting: Everything You Need To Know
Although Missouri is relatively small compared to other states, they have a great sporting environment. Sports fans are blessed with great teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, and more. That’s why it’s such a shame that betting is not legal in Missouri yet.
Although it can be disappointing and frustrating, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. In October 2020, legislators and lawmakers have been pushing sports betting bills very aggressively, and Missouri is one of the states that many experts say will legalize sports betting in 2021. Unfortunately, as of now, COVID-19 has dominated talks in the House, so discussions are slightly delayed.
This article will prepare all Missourans for when sports wagering becomes legal in the state. Here, you can find our preferred and recommended sportsbooks. We’ll give you a rundown on everything you need to know to get started and give you all information you need to understand betting lingo.
Online Sports Betting in Missouri
How Online Sports Betting Works in Missouri
Will Missouri Sports Betting Ever Launch?
It’s not looking so gloomy for those in the Show-Me state. In October 2020, there was a legislative session with multiple sports betting bills on the table. Legalized sports betting is a hot topic in Missouri, and it seems as if Missouri senators and lawmakers want to pass it as soon as possible.
COVID-19 has hampered progress a little bit, so you can expect to see the effort to make betting legal in Missouri resume in 2021, and if passed, online sportsbooks to open soon after.
Experts are targeting a mid-2021 launch date.
How To Bet On Sports
Betting in the state is currently not legal; however, there are loopholes that many millions of Americans use to bet even though there are restrictions where they live. You can install a VPN to mask your IP and bet online. Depositing with cryptocurrency would be an extra layer of security. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of wagering on an online sportsbook:
- Take a look at our recommended sportsbooks and pick the one you like
- Make sure you fully verify your account
- Make your first deposit and make sure you apply your welcome bonus
- Browse the selection of sports you want to bet on
- Make sure the betting odds are valuable enough to bet on
- Enter the amount you want to stake
- Place the bet and enjoy the game!
Which Missouri Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
As of this instant, none, but it’s expected that all 13 state casinos will scurry to open sportsbooks as soon as it is legal. These include:
- Ameristar Casino Resort Spa
- Ameristar Casino Hotel
- Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa
- Century Casino Cape Girardeau
- Century Casino Caruthersville
- Harrah’s North Kansas City
- Hollywood Casino St. Louis
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel
- Isle of Capri Casino
- Lumiere Place Casino & Hotels
- Mark Twain Casino
- River City Casino & Hotel
- St. Jo Frontier Casino
What Can You Bet On Right Now in Missouri?
- American Football
- Australian Rules
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Motor Sports
- Rugby Union
- Virtual Sports
We’d be very surprised if you couldn’t find something to bet on. Most, if not all, sportsbooks will have the majority of sports and competitions from all around the world for you to wager on. You can even bet on your favorite Missouri teams such as:
- St Louis Cardinals
- Kansas City Chiefs
- St Louis Blues
- Kansas City Royals
- Missouri Tigers
What Bets Are Available at Missouri Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline: Moneyline bets are the basic foundation of sports betting. You’re predicting which team will win the game fair and square. Moneyline bets can be inefficient to bet on as the odds can be very invaluable if the team you want to bet on is the heavy favorite. They can be pretty valuable if added to an accumulator, though.
- Over/Under: Over/Under bets are for when you’re not quite sure who will win a game. These bets are predicting how many points, goals, downs, run, etc., will be in a certain match. If the Cardinals are going against the Red Sox and you’re not sure who will win, it can be better to bet on the over/under odds as they will almost always be 50/50.
- Point Spread: Point spread bets are more beneficial when you’re certain a team will win. Seeing as basic moneyline bets can be pretty bad at times, point spread bets offer bettors better odds. Point spread bets look something like +-10.5. If you bet on +10.5, that means the team has to be within 10 points of the other team. If you bet on -10.5, the team has to beat the other by 11 or more. Just like over/under odds, point spread odds are typically 50/50.
- Prop Bets: Prop bets are the most unique odds out there, as they encompass almost everything else that you don’t see on this list. If you predict someone’s going to score a goal, there’s a prop bet for it. Is LeBron James going to get a triple-double? There’s a prop bet for that too. These bets can be significantly more entertaining than vanilla bets like those above and can really spice up your bet slip.
Taking Advantage of Bonuses and Rewards
- Welcome Bonus: Welcome bonuses are something that all online sportsbooks should have. They are lucrative packages to entice customers to sign up at their website. Welcome bonuses can be great for boosting one’s account balance and extending playtime.
- Reload Bonus: Reload bonuses are less valuable versions of welcome bets. To keep players playing on their website, online sportsbooks will provide reload bonuses on the second or third deposits to keep the player’s account balance boosted. These can look like a 50% reload bonus up to $100.
- Free Bets: Free bets are what all bettors want to see from a sportsbook! These are no-strings-attached bonuses where you can place bets on whatever you like. If you find a sportsbook that regularly gives out free bets, keep them close, as they’re becoming increasingly rare!
- Loyalty Schemes: These days, it’s rare, but sometimes sportsbooks will provide loyalty schemes, or VIP schemes, to their players. This is a tier-system that rewards those that keep playing on the website. Rewards can be from free bets to free spins in their casino or to straight-up cash. Generally, loyalty schemes are not worth the investment, but it’s always nice when you get a random reward here and there.
- And many more!
Missouri Sports Betting FAQ
When Can Missouri Residents Start Placing Bets?
Sports betting legislation is expected to be passed in early to mid-2021. After it is passed, legal sports wagering will be available soon.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet in Missouri?
To be able to bet, you’d have to be the federally appointed age of 21.
Do I Have To Live in Missouri To Bet Online?
You can use a VPN to get around this at the moment, but once it’s legalized, you’ll have to live in Missouri or any other state that has legalized sports betting.
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available in Missouri?
Mobile betting comes hand-in-hand with online sports betting, so once you have legal sports betting statewide, that will include mobile sportsbooks too.
Final Word on Missouri Sports Betting
It can be really frustrating waiting around and twiddling your fingers for sports betting to be legalized. In order to make betting legal in Missouri, there will have to be a tedious process on the House and Senate floors, but rest assured, Missouri governors seem determined to get the necessary sports betting bill passed to enable citizens to wager.
In the meantime, feel free to follow the advice given above: install a VPN and sign up to our recommended sportsbooks to get around the current geographical block that Missouri state has on sports betting. That should hold you over until early to mid-2021, when we can hopefully see legal sports betting in Missouri.