Massachusetts Sports Betting 2023: Everything You Need To Know
Massachusetts is a region that has a rich sporting history with a plethora of championships and accolades to show for it. The area is so synonymous with winning and pedigree that it’s a shame that responsible adults cannot wager money on their favorite teams.
Although talks about legalizing sports betting in Massachusetts is all but dead in 2021, there are hopes that things will start fresh in 2022, and lawmakers can get the necessary bill passed in the Senate to allow bettors to start betting again.
This article will guide you through everything you need to know when that eventuality does come about so that you can be prepared and raring to go right away.
Here is a list of betting site that offers the best DFS and horse racing experience:
How Online Sports Betting Works in Massachusetts
Will Massachusetts Sports Betting Ever Launch?
It’s hard to really give a time frame on whether we will see Massachusetts legislature regarding legalized sports betting. Still, there have been many proposals on the matter, and lawmakers are suggesting that the law will come into effect in 2021. It’s a very vague estimate, but sports wagering may come to Massachusetts soon, and the Massachusetts Gaming Commission could implement betting swiftly.
Technically, although it’s not currently legal, residents can indeed place bets. It’s imperative to understand that there are risks involved in betting in Massachusetts while it’s not legal, but there isn’t any strict way to enforce the law. A simple VPN will get you past most website blocks, and your card issuer/bank won’t reject any payments as most, if not all, casinos are headquartered in off-shore tax havens.
How To Bet On Sports
Whenever you bet on sports, it’s always important that you bet on a platform you feel comfortable on. The recommendation above is a great place to start, but it’s up to you to choose.
- Create an account at a sportsbook
- Make sure your account is fully verified
- Make your first deposit with the welcome bonus
- Browse the selection of sports and select what you want to bet on
- Check the odds to make sure they’re valuable enough to bet on
- Enter the amount you want to stake
- Place your bet and hope you win!
Which Massachusetts Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
Currently, sports betting in Massachusetts is not legal, but once residents have access to legal sports betting, make sure to keep an eye out on the following casinos as they’re bound to hop on the train as soon as possible:
- MGM Springfield
- Plainridge Park Casino
What Can You Bet On Right Now in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts is an area that has such a rich history in sports with historical teams and a thriving college scene, and on sportsbooks, you should expect to be able to bet on all of them. Here’s the selection of sports you’ll be able to find:
- American Football
- Australian Rules
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Motor Sports
- Rugby Union
- Virtual Sports
And you’ll be able to bet on teams such as:
- Boston Celtics
- Boston Red Sox
- Boston Bruins
- New England Patriots
- Boston College
- New Hampshire Wildcats
- And many more!
What Bets Are Available at Massachusetts Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline: Moneyline bets are the most basic bet you can find on any sports betting platform. This is just essentially predicting who will win the game. If you see a Boston Celtics vs. Washington Wizards moneyline, you’re predicting who will win between the two.
- Over/Under: Over/Under bets are better for games where you don’t really know who might win, so you’re predicting how many goals, points, or runs there will be. If the Red Sox are going against the Astros and think it might be too tight to call, you might want to bet on over 8.5 runs instead. This means the two teams combined must have 9 or more runs.
- Point Spread: Point spread bets are generally for when betting on the moneyline is not valuable enough. If a team is expected to beat the other team handily, it’s usually better to bet on point spread as they’re almost always 50/50 in terms of odds. Let’s say the Patriots are going against the Ravens, and the Patriots are expected to win easily; you might see a point spread of -14.5, which means the Patriots will have to win by 15 or more points.
- Futures: Futures bets are for more patient bettors. It’s essentially predicting which team will win a championship, or which player will win a tournament, etc.
- A variety of more specific markets: You can expect to find so many more markets and odds, like on individual players, or more specific handicaps or alternate spreads. There’s an almost unlimited variety of things you can bet on!
Taking Advantage of Bonuses and Rewards
- Welcome Bonus: Every sportsbook or casino usually gives welcome bonuses to their new players. To entice you to sign up and deposit with them, they’ll offer you a pretty lucrative bonus that will be added to your starting balance. There are usually many terms and conditions involved, so make sure to read them all to understand what you’re getting involved with.
- Reload Bonus: Reload bonuses are a less valuable version of welcome bonuses. You may see a 50% match up to $100 or something like that on your second or third deposit.
- Free Bets: Free bets are what every bettor loves to see. These are free bets that you can use to bet on anything you like!
Is sports betting legal in Massachusetts?
Currently, no. But there are talks in the advanced stages to try and legalize it.
When Can Massachusetts Residents Start Placing Bets?
It’s unclear as of yet, but you can expect to see more news about it in 2021.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Bet in Massachusetts Legally?
Massachusetts betting follows the federal law, where you have to be at least 21 to gamble.
Is It Legal To Bet On Massachusetts Sports Teams?
It’s not legal, but there are a few loopholes currently available that allows you to.
Do I Have To Live in Massachusetts To Bet Online?
Massachusetts residents cannot place bets currently in 2020.
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available in Massachusetts?
When sports betting is legalized, mobile sports will be included under that umbrella.
It can be frustrating that betting isn’t legalized right now, but a little patience goes a long way. There are currently loopholes around the current system, such as using a VPN, but we don’t necessarily recommend that. It’s just a suggestion!
One day, hopefully soon, Massachusetts residents can enjoy legal sports betting in their state and have a fun and enjoyable experience.