Connecticut Sports Betting
The current state of sports betting in Connecticut is bleak, and its future doesn’t look much better. Ever since 2018, where the federal government decided to allow individual states to set up their own gaming industries, legislation has been passed slowly but surely in other states. In Connecticut, however, it’s a different story.
However, it is possible that within the next five years, we can see some progression of the legal sports betting industry in Connecticut that will allow players to play freely. This article will prepare you for the eventual legalization of sports betting in the state. Find out all there is to know about online gaming, mobile sports betting, which sportsbooks to use, bonuses, and more!
Online Sports Betting in Connecticut
Currently, betting in the state is not legal, however, there are ways you can work around that. If you really must, you can use a VPN to access these websites below.
How Online Sports Betting Works in Connecticut
Will Connecticut Sports Betting Ever Launch?
It’s really hard to say.
Connecticut is in the middle of a legal battle between the state government and the tribes. It is really unfortunate that something that will benefit the entertainment of residents has to be so hotly contested by two greedy parties, but that’s the state of affairs we are in right now. There have been multiple attempts to pass legislation through the House, but each time it is met with a contest due to casino rights being held by tribal casinos.
We think that sports betting will become legal in Connecticut within the next five years or so, but that is more of a hunch than an informed guess.
How To Bet On Sports
Seeing as online and mobile sports betting is still not legal in the state, many players may give up. There are ways around this, though. You can use a VPN and make your deposits via cryptocurrency to ensure that you stay private online. Through these methods, you would be allowed to sign up to and play on the recommended sportsbooks above. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you once you’ve signed up:
- Create a free account at our recommended sportsbooks or any of your choice
- Make sure the verification process is fully completed, as sometimes you won’t be able to deposit without it
- Make your first deposit with your welcome bonus applied
- Browse the selection of sports available to you and choose what you want to bet on
- Check if the odds are worth betting on
- Enter the amount you want to stake in your bet slip
- Place your bet, and enjoy watching the game!
What Can You Bet On Right Now in Connecticut?
- American Football
- Australian Rules
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Motor Sports
- Rugby Union
- Virtual Sports
What Bets Are Available at Connecticut Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline: Moneyline bets are the most basic bet on an online sportsbook. Essentially you are predicting who will win the game fair and square. Certain sports like soccer will have an option to draw as well, which would make it a 3-way moneyline.
- Over/Under: Over/under bets are more for games where you’re uncertain of who will win the game. You’re betting on the number of points, goals, downs, or runs that are scored in a game. This is more appropriate for matches where you’re unsure of who will win.
- Point Spread: Point spread bets are typically for when a moneyline bet is not worth betting on. The point spread bets always look something like +-5.5, and it can be confusing for newer bettors. If you bet on a team +5.5, that means they have to be within 5 points of the other team. If you bet on -5.5, you need the team to win by 6 or more. The point spread bets are almost equal odds, making them more valuable than moneyline bets if there’s a heavy favorite.
- Prop Bets: Prop bets are the most diverse category you can bet on. These can include player home runs, individual points, yellow cards in a match, fouls, and the list goes on and on. Prop bets can be really fun as they’re unique, and catching them happening in a game is exciting. Diversifying your bet slip makes for a more enjoyable experience.
Taking Advantage of Bonuses and Rewards
- Welcome Bonus: The welcome bonus is a staple in all online sportsbooks and casinos. These are lucrative welcome packages to entice you to be loyal to a website. They are almost always applied to your first deposit that boosts your account balance.
- Reload Bonus: A reload bonus is a bonus that is usually applied to your second and third deposits. These are attempts to keep you depositing on a website and are less valuable than welcome bonuses. Reload bonuses can look something like a 50% match bonus up to $50.
- Free Bets: Free bets are ultimately what bettors look for. In the betting world, free bets are king as they give the player the freedom to bet on whatever they want with no strings attached. If you find a sportsbook that offers a lot of free bets, keep them close!
- And many more!
Connecticut Sports Betting Laws
Anything that resembles gambling of any kind must go through the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan Indians. These tribes have exclusive rights to all casino games in Connecticut, which stops any progress the state government tries to make.
It is not legal to bet on sports in Connecticut; however, there are other ways of wagering in the state. Foxwoods Resort Casino and the Mohegan Sun are the two casinos operated by the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan Indians, respectively. There, you can wager on off-track horse racing and the lottery. But that’s all until the state of Connecticut can sort out all legal issues.
Connecticut Sports Betting FAQ
Is Sports Betting Legal in Connecticut?
As of now, no, it is not. However, as we’ve stated above in the “How To Bet On Sports” section, there are ways around this.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet in Connecticut?
Assuming it is legalized, you’d have to follow the federal law and be at least 21 to bet.
Is There a Way to Bet on Connecticut Teams?
With a VPN, you can access our recommended sportsbooks and bet on your favorite Connecticut and New England teams.
Final Word on Connecticut Sports Betting
It can be frustrating if you’re a Connecticut resident, and you’re looking to start betting online. While the state and the tribes battle it out over all the legalities of sports betting, there are a few steps you can take to start gambling. We never encourage our readers to break the law, so follow the steps we gave above in the article at your own risk.
We do hope we can see legal sports betting in the state of Connecticut soon, though. There is such a rich sporting history in the New England region, and it would be such a shame if betting isn’t legalized soon. Until that happens, though, feel free to follow the steps we gave above and register to some sportsbooks and play with some bonuses!