Sports Betting Mississippi 2023: Is It Legal, Where Are The Best Sportsbooks
Sports betting in Mississippi was legalized in 2018. Since then, the state has launched legal sportsbooks that anyone inside the state can bet with.
However, Mississippi’s sports betting laws are a tad complex. To make sure you don’t run into any trouble, I’ve put together an article that explains Mississippi sports betting laws. I’ll also be taking a look at the best sportsbooks in Mississippi, and I’ll be answering your most popular questions on this subject.
Top 5 Sportsbooks In Mississippi
How Online Sports Betting Works In Mississippi
Mississippi Sports Betting Launch
Mississippi was one of the first states to launch online sports betting back in the summer of 2018. Daily fantasy sports betting came first, in 2017, and sports betting followed 12 months later.
Several casinos soon added sportsbooks to their on-site premises. However, while it’s legal to bet online in Mississippi, there is a catch – you must be inside a licensed sportsbook or casino.
For example, you could visit Golden Nugget’s land-based sportsbook and place a bet via the mobile app.
How To Bet On Sports?
If you’ve never placed a sports wager before, the good news is that it is straightforward.
First, you need to sign up for a sportsbook. I’ve listed the top 5 in Mississippi at the start of this article. Then, make your first deposit and grab the welcome bonus.
Now for the exciting bit: Take a look at the sporting events that are on offer. Once you’ve found an event that you like the look of, take a closer look at its lines and then the odds.
Once you’ve decided on a bet and the odds are appealing to you, you need to choose a stake (the amount of money you want to wager). The final step is to confirm your bet. Then, just sit back and wait for the outcome of the match.
Which Mississippi Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
Several Mississippi casinos have added a sportsbook to their on-site premises since the legalization of sports betting.
- 1st Jackpot Casino
- Ameristar Casino
- Beau Rivage Resort and Casino
- Bok Homa Casino
- Boomtown Casino
- Fitz Casino Hotel
- Gold Strike Casino Resort
- Golden Moon Hotel and Casino
- Golden Nugget
- Hard Rock Hotel and Casino
Mississippi Online Sports Betting Partnerships
As per the Mississippi gaming commission, a sportsbook isn’t legal unless it’s part of online sports betting partnership with a fully licensed casino.
- Beau Rivage Sportsbook – PlayMGM
- Grand Sierra – William Hill
- Gold Strike – PlayMGM
- Sam’s Town – PlayMGM
- IP Casino – B Connected
- Boomtown Casino – Penn National
- Golden Moon – PRR Sports
- Golden Nugget – Golden Nugget
- Hollywood Casino – Penn National
- Scarlet Pearl – DraftKings Sportsbook
- Silver Star – PRR Sports
What Can You Bet On Right Now In Mississippi?
You can bet on all sports in Mississippi, but the exact sports you’re able to bet on will depend on the sportsbook you sign up with. This is because different sportsbooks offer different sports variety.
Here’s a list of the legal sports you can be on right now in Mississippi:
- Table Tennis
- Horse racing
What Bets Are Available At Mississippi Sportsbooks?
Once you sign up for a sportsbook, you’ll then need to decide what type of bet you want to place. If you’re new to sports betting, here are the top bets available at Mississippi sportsbooks:
- Straight-line bets – The sportsbook sets a betting line (otherwise known as the point spread), and it’s up to you to bet on either the favorite or the underdog. If you bet on the favorite, you’ll only win the bet if it wins by more than the point spread. If you bet on the underdog, it must win outright or at least lose less than the spread.
- Money line bets – This one is very similar to the straight line bet, except there is no point spread. Instead, you just bet on either the favorite or the underdog. A money line bet for the favorite looks like this:
LA Lakers (+120)
In this example, if you wager $100, you will win $20 if the bet comes through.
A money line bet for an underdog looks like this:
LA Clippers (-115)
In this example, if you wager $100, you will win $15 if the bet comes through.
In money line bets, the favorite is always represented by a (+) sign, and a (-) sign always represents the underdog.
- Total line bets – The sportsbook sets a combined final score between both teams, and you need to decide whether you think the real combined final score will be higher or lower. For example, if the sportsbook might decide that the Lakers and Clippers will achieve a combined score of 195. Total line bets are really popular in the NBA and NFL.
- Parlay bets – You group together 2 or more bets. For example, you might pick the Lakers, the Bucks and the Bulls all to win. If just one of them loses, you lose the whole bet. The beauty of the parlay bet is that the odds are adjusted each time you add a new pick. The more picks you add, the more money you stand to win.
Taking Advantage Of Bonuses and Rewards
The best Mississippi sportsbooks come with bonuses and rewards that you should look out for before signing up. Here are some of the best bonuses and rewards you might find:
- Welcome bonus – All sportsbooks offer a welcome bonus to kickstart your sports betting career. Most sites offer a first deposit bonus, which means you need to make a first deposit before grabbing the bonus. However, some sites offer a no deposit welcome bonus, which you can grab without making a deposit first.
- Reload bonus – Once the first deposit bonus is out of the way, some sites will top your account with more free cash when you make a second and even a third deposit. This is an extremely lucrative bonus, although it is never as much as the first deposit bonus.
- Free bets – Every now and then, a sportsbook will offer a free bet. This is an entirely risk-free bet that’s usually small (typically it’s a $1) and can only be used on specific sports.
- Bonus on losses – Sometimes, a sportsbook will run a promotion, which gives you the chance to recoup a percentage of your losses. Usually, this bonus is only available on specific sports/sporting events.
- VIP schemes – Before you sign up to a sportsbook, check to see what its VIP scheme is like. A VIP scheme is a loyalty program that rewards your repeat play with perks, such as free bets.
Mississippi Sports Betting Laws
- You must be aged 21 or over to place a bet
- You must be inside fully-licensed premises in Mississippi to place a bet
Mississippi Sports Betting FAQ: Your Questions Answered
Is Sports Betting Legal In Mississippi?
Sports betting has been legal in Mississippi since August 2018.
When Can Mississippi Residents Start Placing Bets?
Mississippi residents can start placing bets anytime they want.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet In Mississippi?
Is It Legal To Bet On Mississippi Sports Teams?
Yes. There are no restrictions on who you bet on (or what you bet on). As long as the sportsbook offers it, you can bet on it.
Do I Have To Live In Mississippi To Bet Online?
No. You can be passing through Mississippi, but if you bet at a Mississippi sportsbook, you need to be located within the state at the time.
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available In Mississippi?
Although online sports betting is available in Mississippi, mobile sports betting isn’t yet available.
Final Thoughts On Sports Betting In Mississippi
Although mobile betting will have to wait, sports betting – both offline and online – is legal in Mississippi. While my personal preference is DraftKings, the choice is now yours in regards to which sportsbook you sign up to.
Whichever site you choose, don’t forget to snap up the welcome bonus and use the tips in the ‘how to bet on sports’ section in this article. Then, place your bets and see what happens. Good luck!