- Great welcome bonus
- Very reputable sportsbook
- Competitive odds
- Lack of casino games and dealer games
Overview of 888 Sportsbook
888’s history goes all the way back to 1997 when it was first launched in Europe. However, it was only as recently as 2018 that it finally made its way to America. Now legal in New Jersey, 888 is available as a sports betting website and a mobile app. It’s a trusted brand with over two decades worth of experience, and it was one of the first sportsbooks to open in NJ.
The 888 sportsbook is part of 888 Holdings, a public listed company that has opened multiple online casinos over the years, and which also runs the popular 888 Ladies bingo site. Today, it’s at the forefront of the U.S. betting market and remains committed to creating sports betting experiences that are fun and user-friendly.
Things To Consider Before Signing Up
Before you sign up to this sportsbook (or any sportsbook), you should consider a few things:
- Welcome bonus – The welcome bonus is only available to new players. Typically, it’s a matched deposit bonus that requires you to make a small deposit (usually $10) first
- Sports variety – All sportsbooks cover the major sports, but if you like to bet on more niche sports now and then too, you’ll want a sports betting site that has a comprehensive offering
- User interface – A busy user interface can ruin your sports betting experience. Pay attention to site speed, too. The longer a website takes to load, the harder it will be to indulge in live betting
- Online casino – Most sports betting sites come with an online casino arm. If you fancy playing table games and slots now and then too, this is something to look out for
- Promotions – Some betting sites treat their customers to lots of free bets and free spins, while others don’t. If you love free bets, this is something else to consider
888 Sportsbook Broken Down: What’s It Got?
Sports variety is the litmus test for me when it comes to sports betting sites – and I have to say that 888 is only average on this front.
All the major sports are covered, including basketball, baseball, and football. This will be enough for some bettors, but those who specialize in more niche sports – such as cycling – will be left disappointed.
That said, their coverage isn’t a massive letdown, and, as I said, most bettors will be satisfied by their coverage.
Here is a complete list of the sports you can bet on:
- Aussie Rules
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
- Table Tennis
Live betting is one of this sportsbook’s strongest points. It doesn’t really matter when you log in because there will always be something to bet on in-play.
888 various lines for different markets, including money lines and things like “total goals” in soccer matches.
Odds are continuously updated, though, so you’ll need to be quick with your bets because there is a slight delay of a few seconds between confirming your bet, and the website actually accepting it. By the time it’s been accepted, the odds might have changed, at which point your bet will have been rejected,
For sports bettors who prefer rapid-fire in-play betting and are able to keep up with rapidly changing odds, 888 offer a feature called Instant Betting. This allows you to place a shorter-term wager that’s resolved as the game goes on (such as “next point winner” in a tennis match). Again, though, you’ll need to be really quick on the draw to get your bet on before it’s canceled!
To enhance the live betting experience, 888 provides up-to-the-minute statistics on each match, which are updated as the game progresses. For example, if you’re betting on a tennis match, the site lets you know how many breakpoints have been won so far and other crucial information. This kind of information is key to helping you place better, more informed bets.
However, the interface occasionally screws this up, so you’ll need to be wary of that. For instance, it’s not unusual for a soccer game to still say “kick-off” when the match started some 30 minutes earlier! This isn’t supposed to happen, and it can be frustrating when you’re indulging in live betting.
Disappointingly, 888USA hasn’t got involved with the eSports market just yet, and there are no signs that it plans to anytime soon.
Like all good sportsbooks, this one has a casino. The casino was actually launched in New Jersey way before the sportsbook and has been around since 2013. However, while 888Poker is available in Nevada (as well as NJ), the casino is only available to NJ at the moment.
The casino is very much focused on slot games and has almost 200 at the time of writing. These include jackpot slots and slot machines. It also has a solid selection of video poker, roulette, and blackjack.
However, what surprises me is that 888 still hasn’t added popular casino games such as craps and baccarat to their repertoire. If these are your preferred games, you’ll need to look elsewhere. You also won’t be able to engage in play-money games here unless you sign up first. This means you won’t be able to “try before you buy,” which is a bit disappointing.
That said, the lack of proper table games is something that’s affecting all New Jersey casinos, so again this is something you’ll need to bear in mind. However, it seems to be worse here than elsewhere, and their selection of games is best described as poor.
As said, though, this mobile Casino ranks highly for slot games. If you’re a slot and a sports fan, it may be up your street.
Poker 888 is available in New Jersey, Delaware, and Nevada, and each site shares player pools, which is a huge benefit to those who love to play online poker. It means there’ll be more players at a single table because a player from NJ can play at the same table as a player from Nevada or Delaware (or both).
And while the casino is a tad lacking, the poker room is a real boon. Player traffic is growing all the time, there are tournaments 24/7, and there are some great bonuses on offer, including a $20 no-deposit welcome bonus.
888 is available on both desktop and mobile devices. If you decide to access it via your mobile device, the responsive website will adapt according to your screen.
Both the desktop and mobile versions of the site are practically the same. They both sport the same muted color scheme (it’s quite dark), while the navigation is simple, and the search function is easy to use. I also like the fact that the homepage shows you a selection of the most popular games that are available to bet on right now, although it can look a tad confusing and overwhelming at first.
Generally, the user interface is good. Everything is neatly organized, and the homepage doesn’t look too “busy.” Picking a game should be simple enough, and once you’ve chosen a game, you’ll be shown a comprehensive list of all the bets you can place.
Naturally, all sports betting sites take a bit of time to get used to. In my experience, though, 888 USA was one of the easiest to get to grips with. This is especially useful if you’re doing in-play betting and need to know where everything is quickly.
On the negative side, its layout isn’t quite as polished or slick as some rival sites.
888 makes it easy for you to deposit funds to your account, thanks mainly to the fact that they use a single account system and cashier.
There are a variety of banking options you can use to can fund your account:
- ACH bank transfer
- Cash at Cage
- Online bank transfer
Unfortunately, the site is a bit more restrictive when it comes to withdrawals payment methods. You can’t use the following to withdraw your winnings:
- Online bank transfer
Bonuses and Promotions at 888
888 sportsbook has several bonuses that can help you get the most fun out of your sports betting career.
- Sportsbook Welcome Bonus – When you first create an account with the sportsbook, you’re entitled to a $10 cash bonus, with no deposit required. Wagering requirements are 6x. When you make your first deposit, you’re also entitled to a 100% matched deposit bonus up to $500
- Reload Bonus Offer – 888 currently offer to top your account up with even more cash when you make a second and third deposit. However, the amount isn’t as much as it is with the first deposit bonus, and there are T&C’s involved
- Money-Back Mondays – This is a fun promo that guarantees to refund your first bet placed on a Monday if it’s a losing bet. Refunds are limited to $50 max
- Soccer Parlay No Lose Bet – This soccer reloads bonus has a minimum value of $10, and your parlay must include at least 4 lines with odds at -200 or more. If one leg loses, 888 will refund you $50, but this can only be used as a free bet (in other words, you can’t claim it as cash)
- Casino Welcome Bonus – When you first sign up to the 888 Casino, you can take advantage of a no-deposit bonus worth as much as $20 and a matched deposit bonus worth as much as $1,500. However, both these bonuses are restricted by steep wagering requirements. Make sure to read the T&Cs before grabbing either.
What Are Others Saying About 888 Sportsbook?
For the sake of balance, fairness, and transparency, I like to take a look at what other customers are saying about the sportsbooks I review.
Where 888 is concerned, customers feel that there could be more casino games and that withdrawal times can be a tad slow. On the brighter side, the live chat is useful, and the welcome bonus is good:
888 FAQ: Your Questions Answered
Where Is 888 Sportsbook Legal?
The sportsbook is still finding its feet in America and is only legal in New Jersey at the time of writing. However, you can access the mobile casino in NJ, Pennsylvania, and Delaware, while the poker room is also available in Nevada.
Can I Use 888 Sportsbook Outside New Jersey?
No. Even if you’re a resident of NJ who has already opened an account here, you must only use it within the state.
Is 888 Safe?
888 USA is backed by one of the biggest and most reputable gambling brands in Europe, and it is 100% safe and secure to use.
Is Live Chat Available? What’s The Customer Support Like?
Live chat is available, and customer support is available 24/7. As well as live chat, you can get in touch via email and telephone.
Final Word On My 888 Review
888 is a bit of a hit and miss sportsbook that’s starting to build a name for itself in the U.S. It’s got decent sports variety, it’s relatively easy to get to grips with, but its casino is a bit disappointing. If you live in NJ, it’s well worth checking out, but you also may feel that there are better options out there.
If so, why not check out my other sportsbook reviews? If, on the other hand, you feel that 888 is the sportsbook for you, the next step is to head over to the website, create an account – and grab the welcome bonus.
Specification: 888USA Sportsbook Review: Pros, Cons, Key Features Explored