West Virginia Sports Betting
West Virginia sports betting has been live since August 2019. It was the fifth state in the U.S. to legalize sports betting, and although online sports betting was technically launched in 2018, a lengthy outage meant it never got fully on track until 2019.
Delegate Shawn Fluharty headed the drive to legalize sports betting in the Mountain State, and it was only after the third bill was introduced that things really got moving. At present, five casinos offer sportsbooks on their premises.
In this article, we’ll be taking a complete look at the in’s and out’s of West Virginia sports betting, including the top sportsbooks, the types of wagers you can place, and the exact legality of betting in this state.
Online Sports Betting In West Virginia
Top 5 Sportsbooks In West Virginia
How Online Sports Betting Works In West Virginia
West Virginia Sports Betting Launch
WV sports betting was originally legalized in March 2018, and was officially launched in December later that year.
However, it suffered a setback after the only app – BetLucky – stopped operating in the state, which effectively meant that West Virginia sports bettors had no one to bet with.
Later in the year, after the repeal of PASPA, WV sports betting was launched once again, and there are now several sportsbooks and casinos that accept wagers.
How To Bet On Sports
If you’ve never placed a bet before, the good news is that betting on sports is straightforward and can be done in just a few steps:
- Choose a legal sports betting site that’s right for you and which is legal in West Virginia (we’ve listed some above)
- Create an account
- Make your first deposit and grab the welcome bonus
- Take a look at the sports on offer
- Look closely at the markets and betting options
- Find a bet you like the look of and check the odds
- If it all looks good, enter a stake
- Press “place bet” when you’re good and ready
Which West Virginia Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
Unlike other U.S. states, West Virginia only has a very small handful of casinos that currently offer sportsbooks. These are:
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town – DraftKings Sportsbook
- The Greenbrier – FanDuel Sportsbook
- The Greenbrier – BetMGM Sportsbook
It’s worth noting that The Greenbrier is a private casino.
Mardi Gras Casino and Wheeling Island both offered sportsbooks, too, but these have been suspended since 2019. Meanwhile, Mountaineer Casino accepts sports wagers on-site, but they don’t offer an online sportsbook just yet.
West Virginia Online Sports Betting Partnerships
As mentioned, there are currently three casinos that have entered into online sports betting partnerships with a sportsbook. However, the total number of casinos that have applied for a sports betting license is four, with Mountaineer Casino anticipated to enter into online sports betting partnership soon.
At the time of writing, then, these are the current sports-betting partnerships in the Mountain State:
- The Greenbrier Resort – FanDuel Sportsbook and BetMGM Sportsbook
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races – BetMGM Sportsbook and DraftKings
It’s also worth mentioning that casinos can enter into multiple sports betting partnerships. However, the sports betting sites themselves have to apply separately for a license that allows them to operate in West Virginia legally.
What Can You Bet On Right Now In West Virginia?
West Virginia’s sports betting laws are really flexible, which means nothing is ruled out in terms of what you can bet on.
You can bet on all pro sports and college leagues. Exactly what you can bet on will come down to the sports betting app you sign up to. While all betting sites offer markets on major sports, they all offer different varieties when it comes to niche sports.
For example, if you wish to bet on badminton, you’ll need to find a sportsbook that offers this sport.
Other than sports, you can also bet on all kinds of sporting events and tournaments, such as the World Cup (soccer), the Stanley Cup (NHL), and the Super Bowl (NFL).
You can also bet on politics and reality TV shows.
What Bets Are Available At West Virginia Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline – The moneyline bet is the most popular type of wager. It’s super simple: All you have to do is bet on who you think will win a particular match. For example, if you bet on the Lakers to beat the Bulls, you will win your bet if the Lakers win. Nothing else needs to happen.
- Point spread – The point spread bet is similar to the moneyline bet, but there’s a slight difference: Instead of just betting who you think will win a match, you must also ‘beat the spread.’
For example, before a match starts, a sportsbook decides on a favorite and a dog. The favorite is always represented by a (-) sign and the dog by a (+) sign. Let’s say the Chiefs are playing the Bills, and the sportsbook thinks the Chiefs will win by -8.5 points. If you decide to have this bet, they must win by 9 points in order for you to win.
The point spread is a little harder to get right than the moneyline bet, but it’s seen as an attractive bet to those who understand the sport because the payout is bigger.
- Over/Under – The over/under bet is offered in most sports, although it varies slightly from sport to sport. For example, in an NBA game the sportsbook will set a combined total number of points scored between both teams before a game begins. Let’s say the Clippers are playing the Bucks, and the sportsbook sets the combined total at 190.5. It’s then up to you to decide whether you think the real total number of points will be over or under.
- Futures bets – Futures bets relate to things that will happen some weeks, months, or even a year or more ahead. For example, you could bet on who you think will win the Super Bowl before the regular NFL season has started.
Futures bets are popular because they’re exciting, and the payouts are often huge.
Taking Advantage Of Bonuses and Promotions
One of the best things about sports betting is that there are lots of bonuses and promotions to take advantage of. Here are some to watch out for:
- Welcome bonus – The sign-up bonus is only available to new players. It typically takes the form of a match deposit bonus, such as that offered by William Hill, which matches your first deposit. However, you can also find no welcome deposit bonuses if you look carefully, such as that currently offered by DraftKings.
- Reload bonus – The reload bonus is similar to the welcome bonus, but it’s only available once you make a second and third deposit. Like the welcome bonus, this is usually a match deposit that nets you free money based on the amount you’ve deposited.
- Free bets – Most betting sites offer their customers free bets every now and then. These are usually small (no more than $1).
- Rebates – Some sportsbooks offer rebates on specific sports or sporting events. For example, a sportsbook might refund you 10% of all losses on horse racing over a set of few days.
- VIP program – VIP programs reward customers with extra perks, such as free bets. To be invited, you must be a regular sports bettor at sportsbooks.
West Virginia Sports Betting Laws
WV sports betting laws are pretty simple. You must be aged 21 or over in order to legally place a bet, and you cannot bet via an offshore betting site. You can bet on local college teams, as well as at fully licensed casinos, such as The Greenbrier.
West Virginia Sports Betting FAQ
Is Sports Betting Legal In West Virginia?
Yes, sports betting has been legal in West Virginia since 2019.
When Can West Virginia Residents Start Placing Bets?
West Virginia residents can start placing wagers as soon as they’ve signed up to a sports betting site and made their first deposit.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet In West Virginia?
You must be at least 21 years old in order to legally bet in WV.
Is It Legal To Bet On WV Sports Teams?
Yes, although WV isn’t home to any major franchise teams. But if you wish to bet on nearby teams, such as West Virginia favorites the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Philadelphia Eagles, you can do that.
You can also bet on local college sports in West Virginia, such as West Virginia University.
Do I Have To Live In West Virginia To Bet Online?
No, you just need to be within state lines whenever you place a bet.
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available In West Virginia?
Yes. You just need to find a mobile sports betting app that’s right for you and switch your GPS on.
Final Word On WV Sports Betting
West Virginia residents can now start placing bets, thanks to the legalization of sports betting in this state.
The next step is to take a closer look at the best sports betting apps that are available, before creating an account and making your first deposit. Then, you can grab the welcome bonus – and start betting.