North Carolina Sports Betting: Everything You Need To Know
Enjoying some sports betting in North Carolina is not as complicated as in other states, so there’s always that to be thankful for. However, it is still a little complicated. In order to place bets, you’ll have to physically visit either of the two tribal casinos in the state. Alternately, you can enjoy fantasy sports on DraftKings or FanDuel.
The fact that there is already a legal precedent to legalize sports betting is comforting news, and we should expect to see the legalization of online sports betting soon enough. This article will prepare you for that eventuality and give you all the details you’ll need to know when the time comes.
Online Sports Betting in North Carolina
How Online Sports Betting Works in North Carolina
Will North Carolina Sports Betting Ever Launch?
Technically, online betting is still illegal in North Carolina. It’s a bit complicated in the state as sports betting, in general, is legal, and the North Carolina betting industry is controlled by the two tribal casinos in the state; Harrah’s Cherokee Casino in Asheville near Maggie Valley and the Harrah’s River Casino in Murphy.
If you physically visit these two tribal casinos, you’ll be able to freely bet on sports, it’s just online and mobile betting which is illegal. Governors are working on a bill to legalize sports betting in North Carolina, so all residents hold tight when it comes to online betting.
Those who are of legal age can participate in daily fantasy sports and online lottery games, however. This can keep players occupied as they wait for the full legalization of sports betting online.
How To Bet On Sports
- Take a look at our recommended sportsbooks and pick the one that’s right for you
- Sign up at the sportsbook and make sure your account is fully verified
- Browse the selection of sports they have and choose the one you want to bet on
- Check to see if the odds on your selection(s) are valuable enough to bet on
- Enter the amount you want to stake in your bet slip
- Place your bet and good luck!
Which North Carolina Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
You can freely make sports bets at any of these physical locations below:
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort
- Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino Hotel
As of now, these are the only two locations that permit sports betting, but it’s better than nothing!
What Can You Bet On Right Now in North Carolina?
- American Football
- Australian Rules
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Motor Sports
- Rugby Union
- Virtual Sports
We’d be surprised if you couldn’t find something you’d want to bet on! There is such a huge selection of sports to bet on at our recommended sportsbooks. You’d be able to bet on your favorite teams in your favorite sports such as:
- Carolina Panthers
- Carolina Hurricanes
- North Carolina FC
- Charlotte Hornets
- North Carolina State
What Bets Are Available at North Carolina Sportsbooks?
- Moneyline: Moneyline bets are the most common bets for all online casinos. You’re essentially predicting who will win between two teams. For certain sports, like soccer, there are three-way money line bets, which includes draws as well.
- Over/Under: Over/Under bets are more appropriate for when you’re not really sure who’s going to win between two teams. These bets are predicting how many points, goals, runs, or downs there will be in a match. The odds for these are usually 50/50, so they can be much more valuable than moneyline bets sometimes.
- Point Spread: Point spread bets are for when you’re certain of who will win, and the moneyline odds are too low. Let’s say you bet on Charlotte Hornets to win by -5.5. This means you’re predicting them to win by 6 or more points. Conversely, if you bet on +5.5, then you’re predicting them to stay within 5 points of the other team.
- Prop Bets: Prop bets are the most unique and fun bets out there, as they can include everything literally. If you think there are going to be 5 yellow cards in a match, there’s a prop bet for it. If you think LeBron James is going to get a triple-double, there’s a prop bet for that, too. Prop bets can be really fun bets to watch and enjoy.
Taking Advantage of Bonuses and Rewards
- Welcome Bonus: Most, if not all, online casinos have lucrative welcome bonus packages to entice you to sign up at their website. Always make sure you take advantage of these as they can give you a big account balance to play with!
- Reload Bonus: Reload bonuses are the younger sibling of the welcome bonus. These are less lucrative and more for keeping you around and playing on a website. These may look like a 50% reload bonus up to $100.
- Free Bets: Free bets are the most coveted bonuses in all online casinos. If you find a casino that regularly provides free bets, keep them close. They’re very valuable!
- And many more!
North Carolina Sports Betting FAQ
Is Sports Betting Legal in North Carolina?
Technically, yes! If you visit the two tribal casinos in the state, you can place bets. When it comes to online betting, though, you cannot.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet in North Carolina?
You’ll have to be over the federally mandated age of 21 in order to enjoy gambling.
Is There a Way to Bet on North Carolina Teams?
Yes! Nothing is stopping you from betting on your favorite teams as long as you follow the legal guidelines.
Can I Play Fantasy Leagues In North Carolina?
Fantasy sports betting is 100% legal in the state, and you can enjoy it to your heart’s content! Hop on DraftKings or FanDuel and start today!
Final Word on North Carolina Sports Betting
Although it can be a little frustrating that online sports betting is still illegal in the state, at least you can enjoy betting in a physical location or fantasy sports. Fantasy sports can be really fun and can definitely keep you entertained as you wait for online betting to become legalized. If the state government and local tribes can iron out any conflicts they may have between each other, we can expect to see sports betting become legal very soon in North Carolina.
We hope this article helps you understand all you need to know about online sportsbooks. Our recommended sportsbooks will give you the best bonuses available on the Internet, and they’re the role models for well-run sportsbooks. Take a gander and sign up for them today!