Delaware Sports Betting: Is It Legal, What Are The Best Sites?
Delaware sports betting has been legal for a few years after the state was one of the first to legalize sports betting. However, it isn’t exactly the simplest thing in the world. You’re probably scratching your head wondering if sports betting in Delaware is legal, and – if so – can you place a bet online?
Sports betting in Delaware is legal – but there’s more to it than that. As an experienced sports bettor myself, I’ve checked out all the in’s and outs of Delaware sports betting so that you’re able to make a better, more informed decision regarding which sites to sign up to, and how to place your first bet.
In this article, I’ll be taking a look at the top 5 legal sports betting sites in Delaware, including my personal favorite, BetWay, and I’ll also be answering your most popular questions about sports betting in Delaware.
Top 5 Sportsbooks In Delaware
How Online Sports Betting Works In Delaware
Delaware Sports Betting Launch
To the disappointment of many gamblers up and down America, every single U.S. state barring Nevada had been banned from taking sports bets for decades. In June 2018, Delaware gave the whole county hope when it became the first official state outside Nevada to legalize sports betting.
Excitement grew to a fever pitch, and Delaware casinos wasted no time in launching their first-ever sportsbooks. Within days, they were up and running, and Delaware bettors were able to place their first sports bets.
How To Bet On Sports
Now that the excitement is gripping you, you probably want to know how to bet on sports.
Fortunately, it’s really simple and can be done in just a few steps.
First, you need to choose a legal sports betting site that you like the look of. For Delaware residents, this must be an offshore site, such as BetWay. Then, create your account, make your first deposit, and grab the welcome bonus.
Next, you just need to take a look at the sporting events that are on offer. You’re free to browse any sports, before settling on a bet you like the look of. Then, take a closer look at the odds. Do they offer value?
If you decide that they do, you then need to decide your stake and enter it. If everything looks good, just confirm your bet and wait for the outcome.
Which Delaware Casinos Have Sportsbooks?
At the moment, there are only 3 land-based casinos that can offer sportsbooks:
Delaware Park Casino
Located in Wilmington, Delaware Park Casino is situated next to a track. This means you can bet at the casino and in the sportsbook, all while checking out the racing action. All the main sports are covered, while a Player Rewards Card rewards you for repeat play with exclusive promotions.
Harrington Raceway and Casino
Located in Harrington, Harrington Raceway and Casino offers good sports variety, as well as betting variety. You can place single-game bets, as well as parlays, and while it doesn’t cover too many niche sports, lines for college basketball and college are available.
Found in Dover, Dover Downs Hotel and Casino uses Delaware Lottery’s Sports Pick software to ensure a seamless sports betting experience. It offers good sports variety, a clean and professional casino, and an on-site sportsbook, and you can place your bets before relaxing and waiting for them to come in in the sports bar.
Current laws mean no other casino can obtain a license at the time of writing.
Online Sports Betting Partnerships
For a sportsbook to be legal, it needs to partner up with a licensed gaming partner in Delaware. As soon as online sports betting is legal here, we’ll update this section.
What Can You Bet On Right Now In Delaware?
All the popular sports are covered in the Delaware sportsbooks and offshore sports betting sites. You’ll also be able to find some more niche sports if you look hard enough, too.
Here is a rundown of the sports you can place a bet on right now in Delaware:
- College football
- College basketball
- Horse racing
What Bets Are Available At Delaware Sportsbooks?
All Delaware sportsbooks offer single-line bets and parlays. But there are a handful of different types of single-line bets you can place:
- Straight bet – The straight bet is simple enough to understand, which explains why it’s the most popular with sports bettors: The sportsbook decides on a point spread (betting line), and you need to pick either the favorite or the underdog to win.
There’s a catch, though. If you back the favorite, it must win by more than the betting line. If you back the underdog, it can either win outright or lose less than the betting line for you to win your bet.
- Money line bet – The moneyline bet is almost a carbon copy of the straight line bet. The only difference is that there’s no betting line. All you have to do is bet on the favorite or the underdog to win the match outright. It’s a slightly simpler bet than the straight bet, which is why some bettors prefer it.
- Total line bet – For this bet, the sportsbook sets a combined final score for a match. For example, if the Lakers are playing the Jazz, the sportsbook might decide that the two teams will achieve a combined final score of 205. It’s then up to you to decide if the real combined final score will be higher or lower.
- Parlay – Unlike the above three bets, which are all single-line bets, the parlay bet lets you, group, 2 or more picks together. For example, you might bet on the Bulls, the Bucks, and the Wizards to win tonight. You can mix different sports into the same bet, but if just one of your picks loses, the total bet is a loss.
Taking Advantages of Bonuses and Rewards
If you sign up to an offshore sports betting site, make sure to look out for the bonuses and promotions. Bonuses and promos give your sportsbook balance a bit of a boost, and they represent a chance to minimize your losses.
- Welcome bonus – All sportsbooks offer a welcome bonus. This is usually a match deposit bonus that matches a percentage of your first deposit with free cash. For example, if the match deposit is 100% and you make the first deposit (and spend) $50, the sportsbook will top you up with an extra $50 on the house.
- Reload bonuses – Some sportsbooks top your account up with more cash when you make subsequent deposits. While the second and third deposit bonuses are never as big as the first deposit bonus, they’re still worth grabbing.
- Bonus on losses – Every now and then, a sportsbook might run a promotion that reimburses a % of your losses on specific bets. For example, it might reimburse 20% of all your losses on bets placed during the NBA playoffs.
- VIP programs – The best sportsbooks have VIP programs that reward you for repeat play. BetNow currently has a lifetime VIP program that, among other perks, offers a 15% bonus on all your deposits.
Usually, you just need to be a regular bettor to join a VIP program. Each time you make a deposit and place bets, you’ll accrue points. Over time, these points can be redeemed as free bets or free cash.
Delaware Sports Betting Laws
Delaware’s legal sports betting laws are really simple:
- You can only place your bets at one of three licensed casinos (see above)
- You must be aged 21 years or over
Sports Betting In Delaware FAQ: Your Top Questions Answered
Is Sports Betting Legal In Delaware?
Sports betting is 100% legal in Delaware, but you need to place your bet with a fully-licensed land-based casino, such as those I listed above. Online sports betting isn’t legal unless you use an offshore site.
When Can Delaware Residents Start Placing Bets?
Delaware residents have been able to place bets in Delaware since 2018.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Legally Bet In Delaware?
Is It Legal To Bet On Delaware Teams?
It depends where you place your bet. If you go to one of the Delaware-based sportsbooks, in-state bets are prohibited on teams from Delaware at the moment. However, you can bet on Delaware teams using an offshore sports betting site.
Do I Have To Live In Delaware To Bet Online?
You can be a Delaware visitor and place a bet online, provided you place a bet with an offshore site that’s legal in Delaware (see the top of this article for my top 5 picks).
Is Mobile Sports Betting Available In Delaware?
Although you can place a bet with an offshore sportsbook, mobile sports betting still isn’t available in Delaware.
The Bottom Line On Delaware Sportsbooks
Sports betting is legal in Delaware, but you can only bet at a fully licensed casino. If you want to bet online, you need to join an offshore legal sports betting site, such as BetWay.
However, way you do it, we hope you learned a lot in this article and that you’re now ready to join a sportsbook, grab the welcome bonus – and get betting!